Wednesday, August 10, 2005

At home.

There was some doubt. Check in to our new apartment was at 3:30, then 4:00. At 3:40, they called to say that they couldn't make it until 4:30. Then at 4:30, it became 4:30 or 5:00. I went and picked up the boxes with the school workers, and headed over. When I got there, the people were waiting for us, while Karla and the school officer were waiting for a call from them.

By 6:30 we had taken the apartment, dirty and is disrepair, with a promise from the owner that cleaners and repairmen would be sent in the next couple days to fix it up for us. By 7:30, we had figured out that the AC didn't work and we sweated buckets as we set up Aysha's crib. Last night was unusually still and I am hoping that if the AC still doesn't work tonight, the ocean breezes will cool us off.

Today, our boxes and bags are in a pile in the middle of the living room. Karla went home to check on Aysha today and said that cleaners arrived, but their cleaning was "superficial". Claudina arrived at 6:00 this morning, and since Aysha was still asleep, she began cleaning the kitchen. I could tell her to stop, but when it came to explaining that cleaners were coming to clean today, I just didn't have the Spanish to do it. She was a little confused until Karla came out from the bedroom and explained to Claudina why I wanted her to "just relax".

It's day two at school. I kept my first kids in for detention today. I sat my kids alphabetically, and it just turned out that there is a big clump of talkative boys on one side of the room. I am just keeping up day by day, but this weekend I hope to get organized and plan at least two days in advance. Also, after school today the internet and cable people are coming to sign us up, and once that happens I'll be able to post a few photos. Oh yeah. We have a phone number now too - it's 665-3026.

right click here and open this link in a new window

Okay. Here's where we are: look at the first tall building in Bocagrande (the big y shaped peninsula at the top of the picture), its white and wide. Peeking out on the right side, is a dark building (actually, it's red brick); this is where we live- seventh floor, ocean view. Okay, now keep moving up the picture along the coast - there's another medium colored building about the same size as ours, then you see a taller building with a design that slopes down to the right(water) side. Our school is directly above the last building. It's in the area without any tall buildings.

That's all for now. It's almost time to get my books together and go sign up for internet.

No comments: